Saturday, December 22, 2018

Paradise In An Unhinged World

How did I ever come up with the idea of the above headline? Maybe it feels like this at the moment, maybe I feel like in paradise and I realize that my paradise is limited to a very small world. The world of this island can be paradise for some, but the rest of this world doesn’t seem like paradise at all.

If you are not convinced about it yet, I recommend to take a good look at reality as we learn about it every day through the news.

But it’s soon to be Christmas and I won’t destroy your Christmas mood. In the contrary, I love the Christmas celebrations, have always done so and will continue to do for the rest of my life.

Christmas is cozy hours in our home, storms may be raging outside, snow drifts might be growing and Bing Crosby is still dreaming of a White Christmas. Let it snow, let it snow and sing about Frosty the Snowman. I love it all. The aroma of new-baked cookies, the delicious smell of a juicy roast in the oven, the candles on the coffee table and my dog snoring softly on her bed. Not to forget the wonderful walks in nature with happy Dixie strolling through the woods and along the beach.

What are you saying? You are in a hurry to get all the Christmas presents? The congestion on your roads are killing you?  Maybe it’s time for change? Why not cut out the presents and the stress of running from store to store? We haven’t been buying presents for each other for years. We buy good food, listen to great music, talk to our family overseas, read a book, watch a great old movie and go to bed early. We have only one health and we need to keep it. 

Watching the weather is a big thing out here. F.ex. we had lots of snow here just a few days ago. But then the winds changed. We got some southern wind blowing right up from the U.S. and within less of 20hours all of the snow melted. ALL OF IT!

DSC_0457 DSC_0482      The change of the weather. within 20 hrs snow disappeared.

This morning I took aim on a forest trail. Dixie was ahead of me like usual. The trail was soft as frost was melting. It had been raining all night as well and temps had been in the low fifties. (Yes, there is global warming, folks) My feet were in leather boots, but the trail was wet. It was wet enough to use a boat, instead of a boot. We turned around and chose the empty campground instead. Did a round and went back home. Since the snow is gone I decided to go to Lubec with the Mercedes. I wouldn’t do that with slush and snow on the road, but it’s good for the car to be moved once in a while.

DSC_0481A new volume in our daily paradise started right after lunch. Dixie was due for her second walk. We went to the Cranberry Trail in the Roosevelt Park. Nobody else around there. But the trail was too muddy there as well. We chose the gravel road instead . No cars on this road for sure as fallen trees were blocking the access for vehicles.

Coming back home after well an hour, Dixie fell asleep between the couch and the coffee table. Later she moved to her own bed.

DSC_0489

It’s this kind of relaxing life which I deem healthy. I could have joined millions of others and be rushing from store to store. But why would I do that, when I have everything I need right here?

3 comments:

  1. Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;Merry Christmas...Peter,Bea and Dixie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice quiet relaxing Christmas day at home works for us as well, no gifts either.

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: