Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Trip To Calexico

C A L E X I C O   (California - Mexico)

Visiting the border town for the first time might turn out to be quite the experience, especially when arriving at the wall. 

                                        Barbed wire hanging across the older (lower) part of the fence

 

I guess everyone would have different feelings, but for me, growing up in the divided Germany with border fences and a concrete wall crossing a huge city, the border fence between the U.S. and Mexico is a stark experience. Cars are driving alongside on the US side and cars are driving alongside on the Mexican side. Two worlds, two cultures, to different systems with different laws. Border Patrol trucks are posted within certain distance all along the fence. The only thing missing are watch towers, but electronic devices are keeping a watchful eye out for any illegal activities. My memories from Germany..... so disturbing. 

But we went there today with an agenda to use the dump station, which is right alongside the fence. 

I am minding my dumping business, but I feel uneasy. The officer in that truck only 30 yrds away is watching me. I know he is, cause it's his job. He might have to note every activity in his skift report. 

Parakeets are sitting in the palm trees. After finishing the dumping they came down to the water spigot to drink. They were monk parakeets. There are actually 11 different species of parakeets in California. Some have ventured north from central America, others have been smuggled into the country, others again have been "escapees" from cages. 

After dumping we continue to Walmart and ALDI. Next stop was Holtville to pick up propane and another load of water for the trailer.

Calexico is a city with a lot of Mexican Ambience. The buildings might as well been in Mexico. Every time I am down there I hear police/ambulance sirens. The population is overwhelmingly Hispanic and Spanish is the dominating language in town.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting pictures and observance of the border. I spent four years in Germany with Army Security Agency ,Lubeck,Helmstedt and Kassel on the border. The birds in both places care not about a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Than you for sharing these pics and your impressions. :-)

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: