Sunday, August 7, 2011

August 07
A new week...again
And here we go again... with a new week. And if I shall believe the weather forecast it's gonna rain a few days.
That will slow me down outside, but maybe I can find something sensible to do in the house.


This morning the RCMP-Constable showed up and had a good look at our cargo trailer. Then he went off investigating whether our neighbourhood had seen or heard anything. (it turned out nobody did) 


And since the rain started around 2pm I moved inside and snooped around on the Internet, which, with increasing rainfall, got slower and slower. But it seems it quickened up again so I at least can write today's blog. 


But what can I write when nothing happened. Well, I will take you on a journey to Southern Colorado and visit the 


The Mesa Verde National Park
From Moab, Utah we had moved our camp to the town of Blanding. One of the first days we do a day trip over to the Colorado and the Mesa Verde National Park. I had visited the park many years ago, but without Bea.  Over small country roads we got to Cortez, named after the Spanish Conqueror who was driven by the idea of finding the "Golden Cities of Cibola". (of course he never did find the Gold as it never existed)

With our year-round National Park Pass we gain access to the park and drive up the mountainous road to the main park attractions, the ancient dwellings of the Anazasi, the "Ancient Ones".












As we get up into the park we realize that mighty forest fires have ravaged the park. I can hardly recognize anything from my first visit 12 years ago.
Approximately 600 of the over 4700 archeological sites found in Mesa Verde National Park are cliff dwellings. Other sites include mesa top pueblos, farming terraces, towers, reservoirs, and check dams. a Verde, Spanish for green table, offers a spectacular look into the lives of the Ancestral Pueblo people who made it their home for over 700 years, from A.D. 600 to A.D. 1300. Today, the park protects over 4,000 known archeological sites, including 600 cliff dwellings. These sites are some of the most notable and best preserved in the United States.





1 comment:

  1. Hello Peter and Beatrix! Thank you so much for your nice comment on my blog. I always enjoy finding the blogs of other "expats", and it is especially interesting to read about Europeans discovering North America (the reverse of what I did!). Mesa Verde looks incredible. I remember learning about it in my anthropology courses in university. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: