After a rather hot and dry summer we got a sudden reminder that we have reached September. And already the first week of the month is gone.
And while we have been talking about it all the previous month, it becomes much more of a topic in September.
Of course, I am thinking of the coming winter and what to do. And I know many of you are having the same thoughts. It is about whether we will be able to enjoy another warm winter in the south, or whether we will be relegated to endure ice and snow back home. And this wouldn't even be a serious question if the American village idiot hadn't started the crazy war with Iran driving the price of gas through the roof.
I am having a hard time to contain my anger about this, but Bea keeps me attached to the ground - sort-of!
It is clear that we won't drive our motorhome south again. I flatly refuse to pay 7Bucks/gal at 8mpg for Diesel.
But we are kind of lucky that we have a second RV - our trusty Flagstaff trailer and our 1t. van as a tow vehicle.
And then there is the question about where to go. It isn't much tempting to spend time among nutty supporters of the criminal regime.
So I rather would add extra miles scooting down the Baja. Mexicans are nice people, they value democracy and a friendly attitude to visiting Canadians. I have already scouted out a few really nice locations "south of the border". The alternative would really be a home-stay with ice and snow.
If the previous winter already deterred thousands of Canadians to travel south - this winter there will be even fewer Canadians in the US.
But how did we spend this summer?
Part of our summer was the realization that our tourist tours on the island experienced a big slump in business volume which also is part of the "achievements" of the known village idiot who ruined American's economy with a staggering 13% inflation rate. No wonder people try to save money on the vacation budget. On a positive note, we have seen a record-breaking number of bookings for our AirBnB and VRBO accommodations.
The lack of booked Island Tours also has a positive side as I have been thinking of retiring from the business. After all, I have run these tours for 15 years.
It also made it possible that I got elected as President to the board of directors for the Head Harbour Light Station. As such I have spent a lot of time out there working with maintenance of the buildings, which is a very rewarding job.
The coming weeks will go with preparations for winter. Even though we should decide to stay home, we have tons of firewood set up - so no worries about that.
This morning I was walking Dixie in the cool northern wind, when I saw flocks of Canada Geese heading south. I could take this as an omen and follow their example.




Congratulations on your appointment as President of Head Harbour Light....it's looking beautiful thanks to people like you maintaining and preserving the light.
ReplyDeleteHopefully in November we Americans can begin to repair our country by electing representatives that can hold this administration accountable for their despicable behavior. Perhaps you could consider the middle of Florida as a winter destination this year. It would save on fuel costs and there are many relatively cheaper campgrounds, state forests,etc.
Hello Rick, thanks for your comment. Naa, Florida is not for me, we tried it years ago and didn't like it, and we are not Campground -people.
DeleteI, for one, agree with your summation of the description of our government attitudes. I'm sure, when I say, a lot of us don't agree with decisions and actions are heart-broken about comments made toward Canada. We don't blame everyone that decides not to come visit as in the past and hate it is this way. We are hopeful that that idea will soon change and become more like in the happy past. My significant other and I plan to visit Niagara Falls on the Canadian side on my birthday in October this next month. I hope we'll be greeted with friendliness and welcome in spite of the current issues. Vivian in Texas
ReplyDeleteVivian, thanks for your comment. Yes, we always admired the US for its diversity, and wouldn't hesitate a second to explore more of it, if the happy days of bygone years would return. But such does not seem in reach any time soon. But one can always hope.
DeleteIt is a hard decision to make, especially for the fuel costs. We are also looking at health issues.
ReplyDeleteLast winter, Ontarians Deb and daughter Ryle, left their RV home and flew to a B&B in the Baja peninsula. At the end, she listed the pros and cons of the trip but might be doing it again. For someone that enjoys desert dwelling, she enjoyed it. Check it out at, https://murpheys.blogspot.com/
Looking forward to what your decision will be.
Stay Safe and Enjoy!
It's about time.
Thanks for your comment Rick and Kathy. So nice you are still following the blog. I will look up the blog link.
DeleteI applaud your take on the US! You are lucky to be a Canadian and not have to live with this crazed bully destroying our Democracy. This guy is an idiot and surrounds himself with people that worship him. What a nasty cult exists within our country. He has done nothing for the American people except cause monetary pain. He is only using the office to steal billions of dollars for himself, family and friends.
ReplyDeleteI'll be in Nova Scotia soon for a two week escape from this madness.
I hope you make it to Mexico for the winter. Thanks Peter, for expressing what so many of us feel and the frustration of living with this monster!
Thanks for your comment. When in the Canadian Maritimes you are welcome to stop by our place. A tour to the most beautiful lighthouse in eastern Canada must be on your list.
DeleteI am planning to head to Yuma this winter - my first year was last year and I didn't want to miss out. This year is a little more difficult but I'm not pulling an RV so my fuel costs would be less than some.
ReplyDeleteOthers in our park headed down to Mexico, the Baja as well if I recall correctly. One couple has listed their unit, and plan to head south of the border this winter too. I expect we'll see them for a couple weeks at either end of the season.
Like Yankeeflyer, I'm hoping that November will see a blue wave, such that the executive powers are limited. We'll see.