Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Easter

Easter is only a few days away and most of us would think what a sad Easter this is gonna be.

In fact, for me it is the worst Easter in my soon to be 68 yrs., mostly because I have to think of all the families who have lost loved-ones to the Covid-19 disease.
14,695 people have died so far in the US, and 1,788 just today. How many grand kids have lost their Grampa or Grandma? How many have lost parents, how many have lost dear friends?

Compared to such a death toll, Canada's death number is only slightly over 400. No confirmed cases on the island, only one on the American side in Washington Co.
The whole of New Brunswick has just a little over 100 confirmed cases and no death yet.
Our borders (also to neighbouring provinces) are closed to all non-essentiel travel. Most people respect social distancing and obviously we got the better results.

In order to lighten the mood, we keep ourselves busy with home-style projects. Bea has been cleaning up the ground behind the garage, while I repaired the fence around our veggie garden. Since we enjoyed some warmer weather today I took out the business lettering for the new van and attached it to the sides. That way I will be ready, should travel restrictions be lifted.

Later I got busy in the kitchen department. A sumptuous dessert has been on my mind for a few days, and yesterday I got the missing ingredients for it. So it was time to try my luck. 

The project starts with baking a cake. I used a Yellow cake-mix. The finished cake must cool completely. Meanwhile you have prepared a banana pudding. I made mine from scratch with 2 mashed bananas. You also need pineapple bits, strawberries (or cherries) and you may want a couple of bananas cut up. Chopped walnuts, or pecans or almonds are also nice to have. And make sure you have chocolate syrup.
You can use Cool-Whip or real whipped cream. (my preference)

After the cake has cooled, you cut it up in small pieces. Take a big bowl and make a layer of cake pieces. Top it with a layer of pudding, followed by layers of strawberries, cream and pineapple Then start over with cake pieces again. You must have a last layer with cream. Now comes the decorative part. Sprinkle the top with the chopped nuts/almonds. Place your strawberry slices (or alternatively cherries) on the cream layer and finish the whole thing with a grid of choclate syrup.

WARNING!  This is a calorie bomb! You can safely drop your supper for it.
The day ended with a nice sunset.

4 comments:

  1. This pandemic is something most of us had never dreamed could happen in our lifetimes.
    That Truffle looked delicious.
    Be Safe and Enjoy Social Distancing.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I've said before,you're lucky to be on your island.Do you think you could send me a piece of cake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I know how lucky we are here. If you come by when all this Corona business is over I'll make another cake. Sending it would be difficult at this time. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: