Saturday, November 9, 2013

Just Molly And Me

It was just 6am when the darn phone rang. What the h…. who WAS that. I have had my fair share of marketing calls lately and wasn’t really wishing for any more, especially not on Saturday that early.
So I glanced at the caller display and recognized the number of mother-in-law. Well I knew she wasn’t home so it could only be my dear wife.

It was.

Her flight had been great. She had gone from Bangor,ME to Philly and on to Frankfurt, Apparently they had had plenty of tailwinds as the plane landed after only 5hrs. in the air. Gotta be a record for US-Airways. Trouble for Bea was now she had to kill 3 hrs until her train would leave. You try to imagine that, being all shot up and tired from many hours underway, yet you have to hang in for another 3hrs. Oh yes there are trains leaving all the time, but she had pre- booked a ticket with a seat reservation and one can’t just blow it all out of the train window and take what-ever train is just handy.

Anyway…when she called she was home, and she was hungry. Air food is not all that great these days. That is if one hasn’t joined in on the newest offer and booked a little lunch for the small amount of 21 Bucks a person, which still wouldn’t really be sufficient to feed a hungry soul. But I hear they serve it in a nice gift-style fancy schmancy box.  Gawd…..how pathetic is that?

Being up that early I was trying to get a breakfast going for Molly and me. Her highness Molly was still in bed though. Not her bed but mine.  It was only poor me. In my morning robe being down into the dirty basement to stoke the fire of the day. Got me some real nice dry wood cut out of old fence posts.
DSC_0136
The U.S. City of Eastport,ME is priding itself to be the first city where the morning touches America. But in reality it is the West Quoddy Lighthouse at Lubec which enjoys the first rays of the sun hitting the United States.

With the heat streaming up to the living quarters I started the coffee, threw a frozen bun in the baking stove and drowned 2 jumbo-size eggs in some cooking water. then looked up my email. Saturday emails suck. They really do. Not even a single spam to be irritated about. Seems like spammers love to take the day off. No other emails either. Stock exchange is not on duty  -  I quickly closed that laptop went back to the kitchen. Had 2 eggs boiling – one for now one for later. I’m a practical guy. Coffee was still gurgling through the percolator. And the bun was heating up in the oven.
 
DSC_0132 DSC_0135
Baking is what a bachelor can do. Here I am trying my hand on a chocolate cake.

I caught myself wandering back and forth on the kitchen floor. I did rectangles and squares on the floor. What the hell was wrong? I behaved like a tiger in the cage. My house being the cage holding me right here. Other people were way down in the warm south enjoying themselves. Up here nothing was happening. Why is it that I always have to move around – can’t sit still for five minutes?  Why do I have to see the open road ahead of me? Why must there be a project at all times. Jeeze I probably drive everyone crazy. Abstinentia comes to mind.
DSC_0145 DSC_0140
The area is “resting” after the summer…a little ice, a little quiet. patiently waiting for the winter to arrive.
DSC_0150 DSC_0147
Now, if the weather would keep nice, I could busy myself out on the property today. Go out and chop down trees, rake the leaves off the lawn – well at this wind speed they’d be flying off by themselves.
DSC_0153 DSC_0158 DSC_0159 DSC_0163
Molly looking for a mouse..

I called Molly and instantly I heard how she jumped off my bed, came down the staircase. I really needed her company now. If she wouldn’t be around the table with her begging eyes I’d be going crazy. Had the breakfast over to the dining room and Molly was looking up at me. She is waiting for her share of the boiled egg. It’s the chopped off white top of the egg she eats. Well, she’d be eating the whole d….egg but she ain’t gonna get it.
DSC_0176 DSC_0168
Dark clouds moving in

After breakfast I was contemplating how to take Molly for a walk without being turned into a block of ice by the howling western wind. I would take us to the Herring Cove Beach on the eastern side of the island. It’s a protected spot and the sun was still shining. But I could see clouds moving in already. It would turn into a dull grey boring Saturday.

We had a great walk. It was just past 8am when we arrived at the beach. The sun was still low but it wasn’t bad. At Lake Glensevern Molly must have heard a mouse or something hiding under a drift log. At least she got busy investigating the where-abouts of that animal. It was funny to watch. Quite the show in fact.  It was difficult to make her abandon the spot, but I was already on my way over to the beach when she finally came after me.

I poured myself another cup of coffee before I plumped down into the infamous IKEA to communicate the happenings to the world. It seems like the computer is the only thing in the world that can keep me in my chair for any span of time. Oh well- let’s see what else might happen today….maybe I just bake another cake.


Thanks for looking!






5 comments:

  1. When that special someone is not present our lives are turned into a tailspin. By the time Bea gets back from her trip you will just be starting to get into a proper routine of just you and Molly. Then the learning process will start anew. Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate - well except for the chocolate cake. I have trouble getting the stove lit so I don't bake anything when Jim isn't here. But I've been pacing and trying to read but after I've read about four pages, I have to find something else to do. Jim has texted a couple of times but boy do I miss him. Skittlez is really traumatized and every truck that goes by she tears to the door to look for Jim. Don't know what I would do without the girls for company. Hang in there. Our lives will be complete again before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We spent the night in the Frankfurt airport once because we missed a connection.. One slept and one stood watch. It's a different place at night than it is during the busy part of the day. It definitely is time for you to get out of there as soon as you can and start your journey south. The weather is going to keep you inside more than outside if you don't get out of there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure you will find things keeping you busy, and before you know it Bea will have returned home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you'll be fine. Although I have to admit, the first time my wife had to go off for a week at a time, I did find it a bit *different*. I don't think it's ever been "two weeks" though. The weekend on your own might be a challenge, but that will remain to be seen.
    At least Bea has a Mom to go and visit. That's always a good thing.
    You'll have lots to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: