Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 03


A day in between
The 3rd of July is a day in between the 1st. and the 4th, between Canada Day and Independence Day. Here on Campobello, people celebrate both. We are too close to the U.S. for not taking part in both celebrations. On top of that, this year the town of Lubec is having its Bicentennial Celebration these days. It's a time where lots of tourists are coming onto the island. Lubec is gonna have its 4th-of-July Parade today while Eastport has its parade tomorrow.


I have promised Bea to let her in on this blog, so here she is again with her kitchen talk.



In the Kitchen Corner
Today I tried to figure out why in the world am I writing about my dinner cooking?  Was it Peter and his blog? 
"It is so much fun!" he often remarks, and he undoubtedly spends a lot of time in front of the screen. 
Who knows. Maybe I got a bit jealous?
As I was preparing dinner AGAIN, standing at the kitchen counter, I wondered.
What is wrong with most cookbooks or recipes?

Very simple - for the most of the time the ingredients listed are not readily available in my kitchen. I would have to buy them first.
And afterwards - items specially bought for the occasion, like coconut milk or sesame oil, would be sitting in my pantry with a meagre chance they get used again in the near future. What a waste! 
Why aren't there recipes for the frugal cook? Any ideas how to utilize the stuff that actually is in the fridge and pantry?

Having reached that point, I was hit by the idea.
If I wrote about my plain ways of cooking I might "push a button" and find some inspiration out there in the world wide web. And - maybe I would have some FUN in to the bargain! 

So far about my contemplations, now to the food:

Ingredients:
5 small potatoes, 2 carrots, 1 corn ear, 2 small flower heads of broccoli.
Leftover pork roast found in the fridge.
Peter bought strawberries today, they come handy as dessert.

In one pot: Set potatoes to boil, add carrots and corn ear. After 20 minutes add the broccoli. 
Rinse and hull strawberries. Sugar after taste. Set aside.

Slice roast and steam about 3 min in 1/2 inch of water. When warmed up set roast pieces aside.

Use  this water to prepare a sauce with starch, milk, salt, pepper,1 tbsp each mustard and ketchup. Flavour with a tsp of balsamic vinegar and 1/2 tsp of thyme. 
Put slices of roast back into the sauce to keep them warm until serving.

Whip a 1/2 cup of whipping cream for the dessert.

Potatoes are ready by now and we are done.

By the way, we went shopping and my food sources are replenished. Tomorrow I have to do some roasting, I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: