Wednesday, May 30, 2012

10 Years Back in Time and May 30

The year was 2002, May 30.  911 was just one year earlier and we had had grave thoughts about not making it to Canada. But now the plane was circling over Calgary. In less than 15 minutes we would be on the ground. There was an entirely new life waiting for us.  New jobs, new people a new home.
New people! That was always the exciting part. Would people welcome us? Canada is a country where newcomers are welcome, so I had heard.

Let’s move fast forward to today. 10 years have gone by and everywhere we went have people been welcoming us. Canada is our home. I had wanted it to be my home since I was 15 years of age. Why? I have no idea. It just appealed to me from the very first moment I read and heard about it.

35 years later I had set foot on Canadian soil – as a newcomer.

There is more to May 30. It is the day when Bea and I joined up. On May 30 1987 we got married in a Norwegian church from the 12th century. The church is one of those old Stave Churches Norway is so famous for. And ours was one of the smallest in the country. Maybe it is the smallest. The doorway was so low I had to lower my head on the way out. And didn’t i bump my head? Yes, I did.

                                                  Rødven Stavkirke

                       The door we went through  - married 25 years ago 

Our pastor that day said our marriage would be like the mighty mountains of Norway, which have been there since the morning of time. Nothing is gonna remove those mountains, and even if the rain, which used to be forceful in those parts, would obscure the mountain, it would still be there in all its glory when the sun came out afterwards.

After 25 years, the mountain is still there.

***************************************************

We received a message from Denise, (Sassy’s on da Road) that she has changed her mind and will not be coming over to Campobello. We hope she has a good and safe travel through Quebec.   We had been looking forward to see her and Benny.

Thanks for following the journey!

8 comments:

  1. So nice that you mad it to Canada and can celebrate may 30th with a dual purpose, Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary for both events!! Very nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! What a great looking old church to be married in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! May you have many more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are truly like the mighty mountains of Norway. I have always enjoined all our meetings on the road and look forward to many more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May 30th is indeed a special day for you two. Congratulations on both wonderful occasions. I might get your way later in the Summer or early Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, we think Canada is a pretty special place as well. For sure you made the right choice:))

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: