Sunday, February 12, 2012

Fascinating Moon

A few days ago we had a full moon. There is something with the moon that makes me stare at it. It is fascinating. 
Again and again I have tried to capture the moon on film. Usually I end up with a bright white spot on the photo.
Full moon and cloud cover
Full moon closer up
Recently my neighbour borrowed me an outdated book about photography with lots of good advices. 
Now! 
Yesterday night!
I finally got a shot that actually showed the surface structure of the moon, after I zoomed it in on the computer. Yeehaa! 
Yeah! That's what I wanted! Wow!
Aperture, shutter- speed, auto focus, manual option. 
Ten different shots, ten different settings.
Do I now remember what I did out there in the dark? 
Unfortunately - no!
So, I have to try it again until I do. But now I know I can do it!
______________


The countdown is on. Four more days! :))



4 comments:

  1. The remembering part is the toughest bit I find. Although I was told years ago that for these types of endeavours you simply have to take notes.
    Easier said than done when standing outside in the dark however.
    Much, much easier with digital photography though these days. And more cost effective.
    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, to have a note book ready in the dark is kind of difficult. I had a hard time to see the automatic/manual switch. Should have take a flash light with me. Next time I try to be prepared.
      Bea

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Someone once told me that in judging the brightness of the moon think of it as it really is, a bright sunlit object. You need the same settings that you would to take a picture on a bright beach. Trouble with automatic digital cameras is that they are averaging the light in the entire frame, not just that spot that is the moon. If you have controls your exposure should be something in the neighborhood of F16 at 1/400 of a second with an ISO rating of 400 ...

    Cheers,

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I switched from automatic to manual. That helped. And thanks, I will try that next time. Bea.

      Delete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: