Saturday, June 18, 2011

The BREAD

Last Sunday we ran out of bread. Instead of going to the local Coop for one of these "puffed-up" tasteless wonders I followed an advice we had received a couple of days earlier. Yep, neighbors had told me about Martha's little home bakery in Lubec,ME. Her products were said to be of the utmost quality and taste. But, of course, I had forgotten the address. 


Arriving at the U.S. customs I asked the officer whether he knew about Martha's. No, he had actually no idea. Well, Lubec is a small town and it should be possible to find the place. Alas, driving around in town didn't do the trick, so I finally stopped at the little convenience store on the corner.


After some heavy thinking the young woman jumped up and down and all-of-a-sudden remembered the place up the hill. "Go to Monument Street", she said. "You'll find it right there. She has a sign out on her house".


I was relieved and got back into the car. Monument Street is certainly not very monumental, and with the car put into a crawl, I was spiding around to the left and the right. First when I came to the very end I saw the grey house with a bunch of hand-painted signs out front. One of them said: "SUNPORCH INDUSTRIES".  WOW!!
Sunporch Industries Headquarter
I went through the low little garden port with the sign "Entrance". 


Then I was facing a regular residential screen door. Hmm... should I knock or march right in? I knocked, and then the door opened from the inside and there was Martha with a big smile. She beckoned me inside and I followed her.



Her "Store" was a stark reminder of a shed for firewood, if it wouldn't have been for the tin cans lined up on the shelf.  Way back in the last century all stores might have been looking that way.


I explained that I was told about her bread and wanted to buy a few. On a table she had three (3) breads which she explained were a 13-seed-mix. They were still warm and emanating a wonderful aroma. From a freezer she also produced another one, made of "bird-seeds". I bought 2 13-seed-mix breads and the one with the birdseed.




You must know that Martha's products are made of flour, which she grinds herself of organic grain. They are baked with no preservatives and are probably the healthiest you can find east of the Mississippi.


I handed over $20.00 and headed back to the border. The Canadian Customs officer asked me the usual question whether I had bought anything in the United States. I showed her the bread and she wished me a Good day, without asking for my passport. I guess terrorists do not attempt to cross borders with aromatic breads in their possession.


At home I was grabbing a bread knife and the butter.
Hmm.... now THAT was a bread. Delicious!!


I guess I will have to visit Martha again!



2 comments:

  1. There's nothing in the world as good as a loaf of great, grainy, homemade bread.

    I could live without almost anything else.

    When we downsized from our possessions from 6500 sq ft in the school to 230 sq ft for the RV one appliance we had to keep was our bread maker!

    Luv the blog....

    Cheers,
    Peter
    A retired photographer looks at life
    Life Unscripted on Wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Peter. I just posted this on my new Sun Porch Industries Facebook page! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: