Thursday, April 28, 2016

Cold Days And A “False Cheese Cake”

Gone are the 2 warm days we recently enjoyed and after that it got pretty cold again, though “pretty” doesn’t really cut it. I mean it’s more like “lousy”. Night temps are below the freezing mark and today we barely made 40F and helped by a very cold wind it was plainly unpleasant to be outside. Sooooo…..the day was spent in the kitchen department preparing a couple of cakes for tomorrow’s birthday celebrations. My dear loving wife Bea is having her 61th birthday. I can’t believe we are in our 7th decade. Geez…

Anyway, back to my occupation in the kitchen. Bea made one very delicious cake in the morning while my plan was a “False Cheese Cake”. It’s false because it’s made with pudding and yoghurt instead of cream cheese. Trouble is the recipe is a German and that shoulda told me that it wouldn’t be doable. Ok, I made a base with Graham Crumbs and that worked out as planned, because that part is actually AMERICAN. But then came the cream. The recipe spoke of making a vanilla pudding, then beating in 4 eggs (!) and adding 2 pounds (!!) of yoghurt. I had some plain yoghurt which I dutifully added to the mixture. The cream was then to be poured over the Graham Crumb base. I cut up a few strawberries and distributed them across the surface. The whole thing was then to be baked at 350F for 70 (!!!) minutes. Wow, that shoulda really warned me off. But I followed suit and away the cake went into the oven. After 60 minutes I tried with a knife and the blade came up messy. OK, another 10-15 minutes. Another try and it still came up messy. ALRIGHT….I give it another 30 minutes, but it’s still messy after that. HELL….what should I do? Bea pleaded for the cake asking for more time yet. OK- I allow for yet another 30 minutes. Meanwhile I take Molly out for a walk. When I am back the whole cream has risen to the top edge of my cake form. Hm…is that good or bad?  I try the knife again. It is still a little messy when I pull it out, but something is about to happen. The edges are getting some darker colour, so before my power bill goes through the roof, I shut off the oven, but leave the damn cake inside. Hopefully that will make the cream solidify. Otherwise we have a cream soup tomorrow!
1-DSC_0080After staying in the cooling oven for another hour the cream has fallen down again…..but wondrous thing has happened, it has solidified. INCREDIBLE.

I swear by all cake gods that I will never again follow a German recipe in Canada.

4 comments:

  1. The weather here yesterday was the about the same as yours, but will get nice soon.
    Your cheesecake looks quite interesting, but sure was a long time in the oven.
    Hope it tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! (well, maybe not for the baker).... Happy Birthday, Bea.... and you have a very thoughtful husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I would say he is too IMPATIENT. He would not listen and leave the cake alone. But- in the end it turned good and tasted delicious.

      Delete
  3. Let us know how you like cream soup.

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: