Sunday, August 18, 2013

When The Sky Turns Red

It’s Sunday evening. I got prematurely tired and had gone and gotten a coffee from the kitchen. Was now sitting on the couch, I had been listening to Radio Canada all afternoon. It’s a French radio channel and it’s the only one I find I can listen to without getting nervous. The reason is their choice of music. The French seem to love old American Broadway music and what’s commonly called American Song Book. And I happen to love that too. It fits perfectly our relaxed island life, especially if one thinks about that we live right smack in a place full of history.
1-DSC_0110

1-DSC_0061
The radio was still playing. It was a quarter to nine and outside I saw the sky turn red – well orange at least. It was like the darkening sky took all my thoughts away.  Now I was just thinking whether this wasn’t the way it used to be. Way back when I was a boy we used to listen to the radio. Much more than today. I
1-DSC_0001love our old radio. We found it on a church yard sale. I think I paid 5 bucks for it. It came with batteries in it. These batteries lasted for 5 years. I just recently had to replace them. Now it is playing again. It’s an old transistor radio. It looks quite battered, But who cares. We have a much newer radio too. It doesn’t have a good receiver and I can’t get the same radio channels with it. Not all the new gadgets are good.
 
The red of the sunset was almost gone when I heard familiar words from the old radio. It wasn’t English and certainly not French. All of a sudden I realized I was listening to a Norwegian song. Never heard that one before. I turned up the volume.  What a nice surprise!

The sky had turned completely dark.

4 comments:

  1. There is something to be said about old radios, that just seem to work.
    Love the red sky at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen an old transistor radio like that in quite a few years. I remember having one just like it way back in my teens. Worked great then and probably would today if I hadn't got rid of it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter,
    I live near Woodstock, NB and read your blog daily; thank you. I am considering a whale watching trip to the Bay and I'm wondering if there have been many sightings lately? I understand sightings increase as fall approaches.
    Thanks,
    Barrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barrie, we are in the best season right now. Just come on over. We have 2 companies here doing whale watching and unlike those operating from St.Andrews we are much closer to the grounds and have less travel time and more excitement.

      Delete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: