Sunday, November 5, 2023

The Bad Cable Is Haunting Us And We Got Stuck

 I was too tired and too exhausted yesterday evening for another posting. So here it comes with a delay:

Our travel day was marred by the Tranny shifter cable hopping off of that gear lever. I tried with duct tape and it was working for some time, but then it was off again.

However, we made it around NEW YORK and got down into New Jersey. Our destination for the day "Freehold" was reached during mid-afternoon hours. Pulling up onto a gas station, the cable made more trouble. Of course, you can't find any professional help on a Saturday. Eventually, we got it going again and went to Walmart, where we set up in a place we had been in before.

The morning started by making a few phone calls to parts stores and one Sunday-open MIDAS place. The guy from MIDAS was unfriendly and not willing to fit us in on his Sunday schedule.

Other shops are opening Monday morning and that will be our next step. But, trying to use the day for something useful, I went to a parts store to find new bushings for the cable. After spending hours in a crampy position under the van, I gave up, The bushings were too big and didn't fit for the cable.

Using the old bushing and a bit of thin copper wire, I was able to reattach the cable to the tranny lever. At least it will get me to a repair shop on Monday. 

BTW.: While I was under the van, I heard Dixie whining a bit. She sure was wondering what was going on. Suddenly I saw her get down in front of the van looking at me, yes watching me. It was too funny, though I think she was seriously worried about my wellbeing.


It was, and is, all very frustrating. But the weather is lovely, it's sunny and above 70F. So what the heck?

4 comments:

  1. Oh Peter, what a bummer! Like I said, everyday is an adventure when Peter and and Bea are on the rode!
    I wish you well tomorrow. GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully, the first shop you go to will be able to get you back on the road quickly.
    People don't realize just how concerned their pets are about their well-being.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your adventure.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will chec on you as you go along

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put a big zip tie around the linkage to keep it from popping open,maybe that will work.

    ReplyDelete

We like to hear from you. You can add your comment here: